Saturday 9 April 2011

Sunday - a day of rest

I haven't been feeling in top form the last few days and I didn't feel up to joining George and Jean at a picnic at Indian Head today. I'm missing a great day with lots of people I've met here and the opportunity to go swimming. However, the last time I went swimming I didn't feel great but went swimming anyway and paid the price with headache, fatigue and joint-pain which became glandular fever. I have similar symptoms the last few days and, of course, my over-active imagination is conspiring with my fear of leeches, ticks and mosquitos and thoughts of any number of horrible diseases carried by the little blighters is foremost in my mind. But I think my subconscious is using my body to send me a warning shot about over-doing it, just as it did last year, but this time I'm in listening mode and I've had a day off. No work and no Spanish lessons.

I have spent the day just pottering. I've sorted through some paperwork (how can I possibly have paperwork when I am living out of bag??) and done loads of laundry. It is a perfect drying day and call me old-fashioned, but I get great pleasure from the sight of freshly laundered clothes swaying gently in the warm breeze. As long as I don't have to iron them, in which case it fills me with dread.

In the safety of an empty house I also sat down at the piano and played for a while. I use the term 'played' loosely, not to mention generously, as I haven't played in YEARS and it is painfully obvious. It felt both strange and familiar at the same time as my hands and fingers started to remember the notes, chords, sequences and rhythms, even when my conscious mind or memory didn't. The ivory keys felt wonderfully cool but slightly resistant – as if in indignation at my obvious lack of practice. I miss playing the piano. It's good for the soul, but probably not particularly enjoyable for anyone else who happens to be around at the time.

I've also been hanging out on the veranda, watching the sun and the odd cloud play chase across 'my mountain' and doing a bit of reading. And really enjoying it. And thinking I really need to do more of all of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment