Thursday 31 March 2011

Mindfulness and the art of Tractor Maintenance

Mindfulness is the practice of being in the now, or paying attention to what is going on right now and not gazing into the distance or the future.

Maybe I should have been practising more mindfulness while using the tractor and mower in the paddock recently.

If I had worried less about following the straight line in front of me and creating a straight behind me, I might have looked down more and noticed the damn grass getting wrapped up around the drive-shaft of the tractor right under nose!



In turn, that might have avoided the high-stress situation that involved three people armed with Stanley blades and pliers trying desperately to remove the offending grass before the grass, the tractor and the shed caught fire (which we did!).

So in future as I ride off into the sunset on my 50 horses, I will be keeping one eye on where I'm going, one eye on where I've come from and both eyes on where I am right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment