Tuesday 5 July 2011

Throwing off the bowlines in Airlie Beach

Sitting outside a cafe overlooking Airlie lagoon, four twenty-something girls walk into view. Suddenly I'm back in time 10 years to my first visit here as part of female foursome eager to see the Great Barrier Reef. The morning of the cruise two of our party (not me) were very hungover. Today, it's my turn to be a little worse for wear due to a night on the tiles...

Back then, I thought I'd never have the chance to visit here again. However, within weeks I found myself back here with my boyfriend at the time on an overnight cruise. As I left the second time I again thought I'd never return.

Four years ago a dear friend bought me an illustrated quote from Mark Twain which I try to live by, even if it gets me into trouble sometimes; "20 years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the tradewinds in your sails. Dream. Explore. Discover."

A lot of high and low tides have ebbed and flowed in the last 10 years, not to mention some sail-ripping storms. I'm not where I expected I would be 10 years on and who knows where I'll be in 10 years time. But, right now, I'm in Airlie Beach waiting to set sail again. Fingers crossed for good weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment